Tuesday, March 4, 2014

the first girl to call me momma :]

The purpose of this blog is really to keep everyone up to date on our adoption.
But...I can not forget that before our sweet girl in Ghana...there came 3 other sweet girls.
Today...I will focus on the first girl to call me momma!

Tatelynn Elyse!

This sweet girl turned 18 over the weekend and we have had fun celebrating her and thinking back over the last 18 years! First of all I find it so hard to believe that it was 18 years ago that I was a new mom [and a new wife] at home with a new baby.

Tate was such an easy going child. She was happy no matter what, entertained herself and loved everyone. She really made being a mom easy.

Then there were the early teen years. She really did NOT make those easy AT ALL.
I think she spent most of those years not liking me much.
I know that I spent those years apologizing to my mother for every awful thing I may have done or said to her because being on the recieveing end of that nasty business is well...awful!
But...by the grace of God, we lived right through those years.

We slid into the late teens...driving, first job, boyfriends, curfews.
And aside from a few bumps we navigated those waters quite nicely.

And now...she is an adult!
We did it. We made it.
I said just the other day that it feels kind of nice to know that I raised someone!!
Not only did she live right through my sometimes horrible parenting skills,
She is a really great kid!

And guess what, I really can't take credit for it!
It was the big man upstairs who listened to each and every prayer lifted on her behalf, and has counted every tear that was cried in joy, in anger and in pain. He has taken all of those qualities in her that pert near put me in Pine Rest and, over the years He softened the sharp edges, rounded, and smoothed and polished them to shine. He was shaping and preparing her to go into the world to let His light shine through her life!

Go into the world and let your light shine sweet girl!!

No comments:

Post a Comment